CONTENTS OF THE BOOK
1. Meiofauna of Intertidal Region of Chennai Coast, India
A. Janakiraman, M.S. Naveed and K. Altaff
2. The Eutrophic State of Pulicat Lagoon Ecosystem: An
T. Lynda Keren and R. Moses Inbaraj
3. Threats to Marine Biodiversity
B. Belim Imtiyaz, P. Dhone Sweta and K. Kaba Prakash
4. Diversity of Fish Bycatch in the Trawlers off Parangipettai
and Cuddalore (Southeast Coast of India)
P. Murugesan and S. Purusothaman
5. Habitat Loss and Population Reduction of Mudskippers
(Family: Gobiidae from Tamil Nadu, Southeast Coast of India
6. Variation in Diversity of Crabs in Pichavaram Mangrove
7. Climate Change: Changing Scenario of Resources and
Geography with Reference to Pulicat Lake Ecosystem
J. Sesh Serebiah and R. Moses Inbaraj
8. An Investigation on the Hydrography and Plankton Ecology
of Coromandel Coast, Southeast Coast of India
B. Balaji Prasath, R. Nandakumar, P. Santhanam, P. Perumal, S. Ananth, S. Dinesh
Kumar, A. Shenbaga Devi, V. Chinnaraja, P. Kuyili and P. Ananthi
9. Biodiversity in Mangrove Forest Ecosystems of India
10. Occurrence of Double Parasitism (Isopod and Copepod)
on Valenciennes Halfbeak Fish from Parangipettai Coastal Waters, South India
A. Gopalakrishnan, M. Rajkumar, J. Manoharan, K. Sinduja and J.P. Trilles
11. Seasonal Variations in The Diversity of Coral Associated
Brachyuran Crabs in Gulf of Mannar Marine Biosphere Reserve
A. Gokul and K. Venkataraman
12. Marine Molluscan Diversity: Where do we stand?
13. Marine Microbial Diversity: Special Emphasis on Industrial
14. Sea Turtle Conservation in Orissa: An Overview by
Brajeswari Singh Samant, Premalata Pati, Sabita Paikaray and
15. Macrofouling in Three Different Test Panels from
Vellar Estuary, Southeast Coast of India
K. Prabhu S. Bragadeeswaran and S. Sophia Rani
16. Are Mangroves Critical Habitat for Fishes?
N. Rajendran and K. Kathiresan
17. Optimization of Marine Microalgae in Outdoor Tanks
for the Sustainable Production of Biofuels
Shyam Rajan and Grant Burgess
18. Ecology of Macrobenthos in the Coastal Waters of
Gulf of Kachchh, West Coast of India
G.A. Thivakaran and Sourav Kundu
19. Pollution and Marine Biodiversity
P. Sampathkumar and P. Karthikeyan
20. Ecology of Phytoplankton in Parangipettai Coastal
Waters, Southeast Coast of India
C. Santhosh Kumar, V. Ashok Prabu, P. Sampath Kumar and T. Balasubramanian
21. Effect of Different Pollution on Marine and Coastal
Birds: A General Aspect
Shailesh Dhameliya, Digvijay Goswami, Bhavisha Parmar, Hetal Parekh and I.R.
22. Impacts of Marine Litter on Marine Biodiversity 257
D. Ruby, J. Kishore Ananth and V. Radhakrishnan
ABOUT THE EDITOR
Dr. P. Perumal (Born: 1959) is Professor & Head, Dept. of Biotechnology,
Periyar University, Salem, Tamil Nadu (since November, 2008). Prior to his appointment
in Periyar University, he had served as Faculty-Research Associate, Lecturer,
Reader and Professor in the C. A. S. in Marine Biology, Annamalai University,
where he received his Ph. D-Degree in 1989. He is also qualified in the UGC-National
Educational Test (1985). He has 28 years research experience with over 100 publications
to his credit. His specialisation includes molecular taxonomy and live feed
aspects of plankton, fish-larviculture, antibiotic principles/drugs from the
marine bioresources. He has successfully guided 8 Ph.Ds, 14 M.Phils, 24-M.Sc
Dissertations and currently guiding many Ph.Ds & PG-students. Also, he has
successfully completed many major & minor research projects (of ICAR, Mo
ES & TNSCST) and currently operating a UGC-Major Research Project on copepods-taxonomy.
He is a member of Academic Council, Senate, Board of Research Studies (of Periyar
University), Chairman of PG- Board of Studies in Biotechnology & Bioinformatics
(of Periyar University) besides member of Board of Studies in various universities.
He is the Chairman of the Periyar University-Institutional Animals Ethical Committee
& Coordinator of the Periyar University-Patent Facilitation Centre &
Industrial Mo U, an expert-member for Projects Review of European Commission
(EC) besides reviewer/editor for many national & international journals.
He is a widely travelled man and has visited countries like China, Singapore,
Korea, Thailand, France and Spain.
Dr. P. Santhanam (Born: 1975) is an Assistant Professor with the Department
of Marine Science, School of Marine Sciences, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli-620
024, Tamil Nadu. Prior to his joining Bharathidasan University, he served as
an Assistant Professor of Oceanography, College of Marine Science & Technology,
Eritrea, NE Africa. He obtained his Ph. D Degree in Marine Biology, from the
C.A.S. in Marine Biology, Annamalai University in 2003 and he has over 13-years
of research experience with over 30 publications. He has been specialising in
the areas of Marine Biology and Biotechnology with reference to diversity, taxonomy,
culture, live feed-suitability of phyto and zooplankton (in aquaculture industry).
He has successfully guided many PG-Dissertations besides doctoral students.
He has successfully completed a major research project funded by the DBT, Govt.
of India and is currently running 2-major research projects, funded by the UGC
& DST of Govt. of India. He is member in several scientific bodies and has
been serving as a reviewer for over 10 reputed national and international journals.
He has received DST-Young Scientist Award-2007 and has been an expert member
for various committees including Fisheries-expert in M. S. Swaminathan Research
Foundation-National Virtual Academy Programme of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coastal